Housing Assistance

Man handing woman keys

 Heat and Utilities

Temporary heat and utility assistance may be available for eligible families and individuals in need when heating or electric service has been or will be shut off. You will need to pay a portion of your bill in order to receive assistance. Click here for more information.

Home Repairs

State Emergency Relief assists with home repairs to correct unsafe conditions and restore essential services. Eligible home repairs may include repair or replacement of a broken furnace, hot water heaters or septic systems. Click here for more information.

Relocation Assistance

You may be eligible for help with rent, security deposits, or moving expenses if you are:

  • Homeless, living in a shelter, a car, or on the street.
  • Living temporarily with other people following a fire or natural disaster that occurred not more than 60 days before the date you file an application for emergency relief.
  • Living with other people to escape a domestic violence situation.
  • A court summons or judgment was issued which will result in the family group becoming homeless.
  • Your family needs housing to avoid a foster care placement or before a child(ren) can return home from foster care.
  • A DHS employee determines the family must be relocated (moved) from unsafe housing or for the protection of the children.
  • The group receives final written notice to vacate condemned housing from a local public agency authorized to issue such an order.

For more info and to see how much you might receive, click here.

Energy and Weatherization

If you need help paying for heat and/or weatherization (insulation, smoke detectors, and more) there are programs that use federal money to assist families in need. You may be able to get help from state programs like the home heating credit, state emergency relief, and the weatherization assistance program. To find out more about the specific programs, click here.

How do I know if I qualify?

There are requirements you must meet to quality for emergency assistance from the state. You can apply online. In general, eligibility is based on the number of people in your household, your monthly income and your countable cash assets over $50, like a bank account (except for those applying for burial services). Some assets such as homestead, one vehicle, personal and household goods are excluded. To see more about eligibility, click here.

Renting Assistance with Section 8 Housing

What is Section 8?

The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program will pay the balance of a rent payment that exceeds 30% of a renter’s monthly income. The rental unit must be inspected and approved by the local housing authority and the rental amount must be at or below the Fair Market Rent set by HUD. (Department of Housing and Urban Development). The program is administered by your local housing authority. Each housing authority has different preferences and requirements based on their service area’s affordable housing needs.

How do I know if I Qualify

Your eligibility will depend on your income so you will need to contact your local Housing Authority to find your local requirements.

How do I apply?

Visit your local Housing Authority to apply, find “See Housing Authorities by County” by clicking here.